Monday 24 October 2011

The Rolling Stones

7 Broadwick Street, Soho, London.
This site was at one time a pub 'The Bricklayers Arms'. In Spring 1962 (following an ad placed in Jazz Week by Brian Jones) auditions / rehearsals were held upstairs for musicians to form a band that became the first incarnation of The Rolling Stones. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were present.


"I went to the Bricklayers Arms, a seedy pub in Soho, for the first time for the first rehearsal for what turned out to be the Stones. I think it was May of '62, lovely summer evening. Just off Wardour Street. Strip Alley. I get there, I've got my guitar with me. And as I get there the pub's just opened. Typical brassy blond old barmaid, not many customers, stale beer. She sees the guitar and says 'Upstairs'............. I walked up those stairs, creak creak creak. In a way, I walk up those stairs and come down a different person..."


- from Keith Richards autobiography Life ' 





The site is now a record shop  SOUNDS OF THE UNIVERSE





MARLBOROUGH STREET MAGISTRATES COURT



Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithfull - Great Marlborough St. Soho, London - 1969

Great Marlborough St. Soho, London - Nov 7th 2011

Keith Richards and Anita Pallenberg - June 27th 1973



The former Marlborough St. Magistrates Court is now The Courthouse Doubletree Hotel                  19 - 21 Great Marlborough St. Soho, London

Mick Jagger was charged with cannabis possession at this court and fined £200 in 1969. Keith Richards was  found guilty here in 1973 and fined £205 for possession of marijuana, heroin and mandrax, as well as a Smith and Wesson revolver and an antique shotgun, both held without a licence. Oscar Wilde also had the start of his ‘Queensbury’ case heard in the building. 



No comments:

Post a Comment